CVBirthday: 10th, June, 1982
Birth place: Shenyang, China
General contextIf all the genes in a genome are considered a dictionary for the language of life, then the syntactic and grammatical rules of that language would be equivalent to gene regulation. From a finite set of genes, many different phenotypes can emerge, depending on their spatiotemporal expression, the splicing of their transcripts, and the post-translational modifications of their protein products. Undoubtedly, Transcription Factors (TFs), as controllers of transcription initiation, influence such important biological functions as gene regulation and the complexity of development and differentiation. Therefore, it is no surprise that organismal complexity (in terms of number of distinct cell-types) correlates with an expansion of certain gene categories that are involved in gene regulation and signal transduction. Complexity also seems to correlate with the number and coverage of protein-protein interaction domains per protein. Various segments of a TF, like the DNA-binding domain, dimerization, activation, ligand-binding or other domains that are involved in protein-protein interactions are conserved at different levels.
Long term objectives
Short term objectives
Papers(6) Cai, H., Liu, X., Vanneste, K., Proost, S., Tsai, C., Liu, K.-W., Chen, L.-J., He, Y., Xu, SX., Bian, C., Zheng, Z., Sun, F., Liu, W., , ., Pan, Z.-Y., Hsu, C.-C., Yang, Y.-P., Hsu, Y.-C., Chuang, Y.-C., Dievart, A., Dufayard, J.-F., Xu, SX., Wang, X., Wang, X., Xiao, X.-J., Zhao, X.-M., Du, Y., Zhang, G.-Q., Wang, X., Su, Y.-Y., Xie, G.-C., Liu, G.-H., Li, L.-Q., Huang, L.-Q., Luo, Y., Chen, H.-H., Van de Peer, Y., Liu, Z.-J. (2014) The genome sequence of the orchid Phalaenopsis equestris. Nat. Genet. 47(1):65–72.
(5) Amoutzias, G., He, Y., Lilley, K., Van de Peer, Y., Oliver, S. (2012) Evaluation and properties of the budding yeast phosphoproteome. Molecular and Cellular Proteomics 11, M111.009555.
(4) Bonnet, E., He, Y., Billiau, K., Van de Peer, Y. (2010) TAPIR, a web server for the prediction of plant microRNA targets, including target mimics. Bioinformatics 26(12):1566-8.
(3) Amoutzias, G., He, Y., Gordon, J., Mossialos, D., Oliver, S., Van de Peer, Y. (2010) Posttranslational regulation impacts the fate of duplicated genes. Proc Natl Acad Sci 107(7):2967-71.
(2) Kuzniar, A., Lin, K., He, Y., Nijveen, H., Pongor, S., Leunissen, J. (2009) ProGMap: an integrated annotation resource for protein orthology. Nucleic Acids Res. 37(Web Server issue):W428-34.
(1) Dutilh, B., He, Y., Hekkelman, M., Huynen, M. (2008) Signature, a web server for taxonomic characterization of sequence samples using signature genes. Nucleic Acids Res. 36(Web Server issue):W470-4.
VIB / UGent
Bioinformatics & Evolutionary Genomics
+32 (0) 9 33 13807 (phone)
+32 (0) 9 33 13809 (fax)